RYT-500 elective: Core Advanced Program
With rolling admissions, the Core Advanced Program (CAP) can be started at the beginning of any quarter (January, April, July, October). It represents half of the hours (150) of the total hours for this 300-hour RYT-500 Program. You can complete CAP while you are also taking the Apprenticeship Program or the Yoga Therapy Program (YTP): We offer all three programs at 150 hours each to allow the student to create her own best certificate. Contact us to discuss the best options for you.
While one goal of the RYT-500 Program overall is to help you deepen your relationship with asana, it is essential at this time in your practice to deepen your understanding of the yamas and niyamas, and to begin working pranayama and ideally pratyahara into your life.
We are very ambitious in this Program, for the studio, students, and teachers alike, and we want dedicated, intelligent, and loving RYT-200s to join us on this path.
core advanced topics
- Asanas: Their energies and the techniques used to approach mastery, and the methodologies of teaching all poses, as well as advanced ones, to intermediate and advanced students. This work includes an in-depth study of Western and Eastern anatomy.
- Pranayama: Working on basic pranayama techniques, you will learn to integrate this fourth limb of Patanjali’s system into your practice and begin explaining it to others.
- History and Philosophy: Yoga’s history is unmatched by most other systems of thought on the planet. The Core Advanced Program takes a cursory but rich dive into Yoga’s story and how it exploded into the West and modern life.
time commitment, schedule, and assignments
The Program is designed for you to take your time over two years or work through the material in one. You must accrue 150 hours by attending or completing:
- Required: 40 classes of Kim Weeks’ advanced asana class, 6:30-8 pm on Thursday nights over a calendar year (60 hours).
- Required: Completing all assignments included in program, which will be accompanied by relevant, pre-scheduled CAP trainings on Anatomy, Advanced Teaching Techniques, Philosophy, or History. Kim’s Saturday morning Seeing Bodies sessions are central to this time commitment (65 hours).
- Required: Anatomy studying and test OR final paper with workshop presented on that topic to the Boundless community (25 hours).
- Optional: One Immersion Workshop per month, taken from a Senior Teacher of the student’s choice, over a calendar year. A sequencing and asana-analysis assignment will follow each workshop attended (4 hours for each workshop including assignment time).
- Optional: One optional four- or five-day retreat, led by Kim Weeks, or co-led by Kim and an advanced teacher colleague, to make up hours missed — or to enjoy a great yoga vacation!
We will read these books in full or in some portion, and excerpts from various other writings through yoga’s long history. You will also choose two read two books from Boundless’s Advanced Training book list in the last portion of your CAP studies.
- Dona Holleman, Dancing the Body of Light
Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras
- BKS Iyengar, Light on Yoga
- BKS Iyengar, Light on Life
- BKS Iyengar, Light on Pranayama
- Vasant Lad and Usha Lad, Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing
- Doug Keller, Yoga Therapy, Volume 2
Syllabus provided on request. Contact us for more information!
The cost of the Core Advanced Program is $2500, which includes participation in the one of the specialization Programs. The payment plan is $1250/quarter for six months, paid in full on the first (1st) of of the first (1st) month of study in the Program and on the first (1st) of the third (3rd) month of study.
when to apply
You can apply any time to this Program, and based on the timing of your acceptance to the Program, you will begin your studies in January, April, July, or October. Contact us now if you’re interested in applying!
In this section
- New Student 10-class Pass
- 2013 Advanced Immersion Program: May
- 2012 advanced studies (ryt 200)
- 2012 advanced studies (ryt 500)
- RYT-500 elective: Core Advanced Program
- RYT-500 Elective: Yoga Therapy Program
- RYT-500 Elective: teaching apprenticeship
- Immersion Workshops
- work trade program